JOB DESCRIPTION: September, 2013
Office of Hispanic Ministry - St. Patrick Church
1425 Iowa St. Dubuque, IA 52001
JOB TITLE: Hispanic Ministry Coordinator – Dubuque Area
Starting date negotiable after April 1, 2014.
JOB SUMMARY: This is a pastoral and professional staff position, accountable to the Pastor of St. Patrick church and collaborative with the Director of Hispanic Ministry for the Archdiocese and the Sacramental priests. Meets with the Archdiocesan Hispanic Ministry team to plan, coordinate and administer pastoral/social services to Hispanics. Also, collaborates with the Pastoral staff of the linked parishes of St. Raphael Cathedral and St. Patrick.
Coordinate Sunday liturgies:
- Schedule Spanish –speaking priests for masses and sacraments
- Communicate with priest(s), deacons of liturgy events, e.g. Baptisms, blessings, etc.
- Responsible to open/close church
- Doing or delegating sacristy work, offertory gifts, collections, etc.
- Communicate liturgical rubrics; training of and scheduling liturgical ministers
- Provide information for Hispanic page in Parish bulletin
Coordinating Sacramental preparation:
- Scheduling baptisms, marriages, quinceaños & arranging for preparation for all involved
- Insure proper record-keeping of certificates, etc. for the above
- Assist the Director of Faith Formation with communication with the parents, translations of necessary information, and registration for religious education classes. Serve as resource for cultural concerns with the various groups, especially with sacramental preparations.
Coordinating feasts/ celebrations:
- Our Lady of Guadalupe, Posadas, Christmas Eve, Epiphany , Lenten & Easter celebrations
- Others: e.g. Mother’s/Father’s Day… summer events, celebrations of religious & cultural heritage
Assistance to Hispanic people:
- Time permitting, assist with interpretation in emergency situations
- Keep Hispanics informed of relevant immigration information
- Promote learning English, participation in civic & other opportunities
- collaboration with other parish organizations to promote unity, collaboration, shared cultures
Keeping records/Finances/ history of the Dubuque Hispanic Ministry
- Maintain financial records, census data, special events in the community
- File all Hispanic bulletins
-Ability to communicate well in Spanish and English
-Aware of and sensitive to the Hispanic culture and customs
-Able to relate well to the Hispanic and Anglo communities
-Experience in living and/or working with Hispanic people
- M.A. in pastoral ministry preferred. Other related experience in religious education, social service or pastoral ministry is essential.
-Good communication and organizational skills
-Ability to manage budget and bookkeeping responsibilities
-a strong commitment and practice of the Catholic faith is required
For information, contact: Or
Rev. Daniel Knepper Sister Judy Callahan BVM
231 Bluff St. 1425 Iowa St.
Dubuque, IA 52001 Dubuque, IA 52001
563-582-7646 563-513-4236 or Cell: 563-451-6179